Monday, February 24, 2014

Ipads for Ridley High School

Ive talked before about these stupid Ipads that Ridley School District is forcing on parents and students in order to make their lives "easier" in my post Ridley School District Ipads.  I have said before that my 9 yr old who is in 4th grade is not permitted to have a District Ipad. I even wrote a letter to the school district and copied into another post called Letter to Ridley School District regarding Ipad.
 If I had thought she was mature enough to use an ipad I would have bought her one at the beginning of 2013, but as I did not we bought her a Nabi which is a kid friendly ipad type tablet.  Now that my 16 yr old has decided to leave behind the cyber school and attend regular high school, the subject of these ipads is being reevaluated in my home.  My Lila is not too happy that I will allow her sister to have an ipad, but neither she nor I want her to take the ipad home.  My Raven brought home a check list that she said I needed to sign in order for her to get the Ipad.  I told her I'd sign it but I didn't do any of the checklist which included paying the fee and signing a "hold harmless paper". I told her anyone could come along and check those and I would be a liar, she took a photo of the paper signed by me without any check marks just in case and took the paper back.  She has yet to be issued an Ipad so I am unsure how it will all unfold. 
After seeing what most high schoolers do with their ipads, she isn't so sure they are good.  Raven says every class at least half of them are on their ipads playing.  In one class when asked to open their ipads, a student next to her opened hers and proceeded to play flappy bird instead of the assignment as the teacher was instructing.  Raven witnesses students playing music, reading tumblr,, facebook, twitter, take and post selfies, and numerous other things.  Students are not the only ones that noticed how bad of an idea these ipads are, several teachers have been heard saying these ipads are a very bad idea and the whole process creates more work for teacher (as if they dont already get underpaid and do work on their own time), more distractions in class, and less work actual being completed by children too immature to see the value of the device being intrusted to them.
It was learned through the grapevine that in order for a teacher who wants to create a curriculum on the ipads, they have to create one on their own time, send it to the district which approves it, then it is sent through two more approval processes before being handed back to the teacher to teach. 

This weekend in the Metro Kids magazine I read this short article

Most Plugged-In

Abington Senior High School, Abington

It’s not why Abington placed 45th on Money CNN’s list of 100 best places to live, but ASHS students are digging the thought of BYOT (Bring Your Own Technology), a pilot program that allows them to bring in their own smart phones, laptops or tablets for classroom use. Cost-cutting grants are in place to help kids who don’t have their own electronics.

This seems to me to be a way better solution than Ridley ordering thousands of ipads and the amount of money that the district must spend to replace or repair them.  My hope for the summer is Ridley rethinks this decision and comes up with a solution before this costs homeowners more in tax money.

No comments: